Friday, January 29, 2010

LESTER BLOODWORTH


Many of you know that Mess volunteers at San Antonio Aids Foundation. One day the SAAF volunteer coordinator, Susan Bradley, asked me if I would be a "buddy" to a fellow in Boerne, TX who was on home hospice care. Of course, said Mess, and drove up there fully expecting to spend the day bedside. Instead, I found Lester organizing the clearing of his yard and working circles around the teenage kids his church had sent over to assist him. Later that day, we drove up to the Home Depot in an old F-150 ranch truck for top soil to spread around his house's foundation.
Lester was, to me, the epitome of a tough old Texas buzzard, smoking and cursing and wisecracking and never stopping, his toughness however, belittled the extent of his illness.
One of his gifts that he shared with me was his music, he was a brilliant piano player. One day after lunch at his local Quizno's, he surprised me by stopping at a church and playing piano. We were the only people there. As I watched Lester play, he seemed to morph into a man of great health, and with tears in my eyes I thought what a loss it will be when has to leave us. I only wish it hadn't happened this soon.
Lester was 58. A long-time valued community leader and gifted musician, he is survived by 2 sisters and a brother. Services are being planned.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for your testamonial mess
    mother phil-ss also has many fond memories of lester
    He was an angel to me in my time of greatest need
    Mother phil-ss can also attest to his musical skills as lester played the piano and organ at mother's church faithfully for over 12 years
    mother phil-ss is greatly saddened by the loss of his friend and finds comfort only in the knowledge and faith that lester has finally earned his wings and can now watch over me from above
    Goodbye good and faithful Servant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lester showed great courage and strength in his life. Though I only knew him for seven years, I enjoyed the time greatly. Lester and I for the better part of two years would go to every nursing facility in Seguin, TX at least once a month and perform for them. It was always very easy singing with lester at the keys. If I wanted to go off sheet and make up an ending, he was right with me and at times he was the one to continue a song. He had a great love for music and people, and the help and hope he gave to so many will be a true loss to our world. may God Bless Lester in his continued praise as he most surely accompanies the angelic choir now. If they can keep up.

    We love you Lester,
    Joey

    ReplyDelete