Monday, July 6, 2009

OUR ROVING REPORTER HUSHPUPPY DOES SA PRIDE


What can I say? I was pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting much when I was headed to this year's Pride SA, which, by-the-way is different than PrideFest San Antonio which was held back in June. While, yes, this is basically a bar sponsored event, and the bars usually don’t attract a lot of families (except mine) , especially since it was 104 degrees outside on Saturday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. and about 158 degrees all up in my no no, there was still an atmosphere that this event mattered.
What I was expecting was a big bar party so I of course i did a whole lot of extra drugs and slipped into a darling little Ferragamo mini dress and that fantastic afro wig Mess gave me for Kwaanza last year.. I was startled to find that a group of businesses, basically bars here in San Antonio, and volunteers put together a near-complete Pride celebration with booths representing local, state and nationwide GLBTQ groups and organizations, food vendors, jewelry and apparel vendors (even Red McCombs was there in a cute little leather outfit showing off the 2010 Ford Taurus) and a crowd that included the occasional club kid, leather master, drag queen, real estate broker, circus clown, dwarf, Nobel Peace Prize winner, heterosexual couples and lots of lesbian and gay singles, couples and families. I have to say that I was in awe of all of these people. And plenty of them kept staring at me. Alot. But I was polite.
Everyone seemed to be having fun, getting along together, seeing old friends, hoping to meet new ones, trying to score dope, turn a trick, thinking about what those security guards and sheriff's deputies looked like without their clothes on....well I digress. I could have sworn I spotted Eva Longoria Parker but it was probably some drag queen.
While both of the cities’s Pride events have their own strengths and weaknesses I began to wonder what might happen if these two events were actually held concurrently. I also began to marvel at my ability to think of the word "concurrently" while in my stupor.I also began to question whether nembutol, vodka and marinol and Ferragamo were the right choice for the day. The answer to that question came when it came time for my favorite part of the day - the parade.
It was great to see so many politicians. I heard a lot of negative comments about how politicians were just after "our" votes. They're politicians, of course they're after our votes; they should be. But here in San Antonio it doesn't really matter, because only about 17 people actually vote. Our votes can make or break a candidate and at a point the GLBTQ community can hold the candidate's feet to the fire in taking our interests to heart as well.
The first politician in the parade was the parade’s Grand Marshal, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro. Hell, I hope it was really him and not his twin brother. But it made me proud that the mayor (or his twin brother) of the seventh largest city in the nation was walking with a group of supporters in the parade. I made sure I applauded and shouted my support for the mayor when he passed by. I even flashed him a tittie but I don't think he noticed.
A number of other dignitaries and politicos including State Senator Leticia Van de Putte, Judge Ron Rangel, Judge Monica Guerrero, the late Joan Crawford and her pet poodle, Fidalgo, Judge Barbara Nellermoe, Bexar County Democrats chairwoman Carla Vela, judicial candidate Ina Castillo, former City Councilwoman Lourdes Galvan, San Antonio College President Robert Zeigler, five or six of the Dixie Chicks but I'm not sure which one, Director of Public Health Dr. Fernando Guerra participated in the parade as well. There was even a R.G. (real girl) with a crown; Miss Fiesta San Antonio 2009 Jessica Nicole Ramirez. I could have sworn I spotted Thomas Gibson but it might have been some drag king.
I was told that there was a protester somewhere near the start of the parade, but the music on the Metropolitan Community Church float was turned up enough to drown out his verbal assault. I flashed him a tittie, but alas, I don't think he noticed.
The rest of the parade was fun, campy and in many cases family oriented; as it should be. After throwing up a few times, I reupped my nembutol, got a Diet Dr. B on the rocks, redid my lipstick and pressed on. I have to say after working in the kissing booth for three hours then staying for the parade, I was exhausted, but more than satisfied that the San Antonio GLBTQ community came out in force and showed it's support...my only critique....could we possibly come together as a community and have one Pride Festival...I can only imagine what that would look like to the greater community….perhaps they might start saying we have a gay credenza. Or vagina. Oh, sorry, agenda. I'm still a little wobbly even now as I write this. I know this was due Sunday - sorry, Mess. You know how I get...
In Pride and with love to y'all,
Hush Puppy

1 comment:

  1. It is quite sad that in the seventh largest city in the country the gay community cannot come together for one shebang instead of two. It was great to see some of SA's leaders make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete