Tuesday, March 24, 2009

LET'S EAT!!!!

I don't know about y'all but I sure love food. Of course these days it is difficult to be able to dine out, that doesn't mean we don't try every chance we get. Over the past few months I have managed, often with my sister Stella's financial assistance (she hates to eat alone) or the kindness of some of my pals, to sample some of the Alamo City's eateries. Here's a few of my nicer experiences:

1. Brasserie Pavil. This is a bit spendy, granted, but for the occasional "therapeutic" lunch, it's worth every penny. While the service is a bit self-conscious, the bread alone is worth a trip. What rocked my little world was a duck confit sandwich and pommes frittes. This is definitely one of those "girlfriend, let me tell you what he did next...." two hour, two glasses of wine kinda spots. The French are notorious for "lingering" so go for it!

2. La Fonda on Main. Bring up the subject of Mexican food in the Alamo City and firestorms usually start. Before I go any further, for me it's all about the atmosphere. I understand you can't eat atmosphere, granted. But that patio - it's so damn sexy! I confine myself to a margarita and snapper veracruz if they have it. Sometimes just a margarita and chips is all I need. Some nice looking patrons, too. I keep hoping I'll see that dreamy Thomas Gibson there one night. I did see a brand new Bentley in the parking lot! Eva may adore Las Palapas but this is my spot. Speaking of margaritas, here's a hot tip for the financially challenged - Taco Cabana has Monday through Friday half price margaritas from 4-7 PM. After three of them, you'll see plenty of Bentleys in the parking lot. Just drive safe!

3. Zushi Sushi, Stone Oak. I've heard about "better" sushi bars in town,but I love this place. It looks like LA or NY inside, design wise. I've enjoyed the sushi every time.

4. Salt Grass - it's the best hamburger I've had here so far. They 'll cook it on the rare side like I like it. Lunch prices are good. It's one of the few restaurants I've been to where the manager actually comes around and says hello. After having an awful experience at Texas Roadhouse across the street (my hamburger was BAD. As in spoiled meat.) it took a few weeks to get up the gumption to even order a burger, and I was pleased at Salt Grass.

5. Water Street Oyster Bar, Alamo Heights. Oyster Po'boy and sweet potato fries. Fantastic. Shrimp pasta, another winner. My only "beef" is that the half price raw oyster happy hours are no more. That was heaven. Another spot where the owner table hops. Always a nice touch. We still miss our fave server Erin - if you are reading this girl, give a shout out!

6. Miss Ellies New York Pizza, Bitters and 281. Yes, it is New York pizza, and that says a mouthful. My only complaint is that they use canned mushrooms. I order a plain cheese anyway so not to worry. 'Shroom lovers will NOT be happy, however.

7. Pei-Wei Asian Grill. It's P.F. Chang's less expensive little sister and it's pretty good. Finding decent Chinese food has been a challenge here in town and my standards have admittedly dropped, but an order of spring rolls and shrimp kung pao here distracts me temporarily. I am crazy about the quality of the carrots and snow peas they use, and they are always cooked on the crispy, crunchy side.

8. Tong's Thai, Austin Highway. Very hip funky little joint with the parking lot from lower hell. Once you actually manage to get out of your car, you should have a nice little visit. Menu is part Chinese, part Japanese, part Thai. I sampled a bit of everything and enjoyed the food as much as I liked the vibe.

9. It's A Grind Coffee House, Huebner Road. Best faux "Frappucino" I've had so far. Eye candy up the wazoo here, as well.

Here's one that I have not been to, but it's on my to do list. Every Monday and Thursday night at 6PM, The Saint serves an 8 ounce steak, potato and salad dinner for just $6, and the proceeds go to local charities. Call 210-317-3301 to ensure you get served or get there early and grab a seat at the bar and get your drink on before din din. Steers, queers and beers? We're so there!

That's a small sample to get your taste buds going and your tongues wagging. Let me know what YOU all have been putting in YOUR mouths lately!

6 comments:

  1. I recently found a little Sushi bar close to work called RockSan. It's small and very good! http://www.rocksanrestaurant.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chile, you got it goin'! I really like MESON. Have Stella open that creaky wallet of hers, and after the moths fly out, have her take you there--Off 1604, right after macaroni gril (ewww) My baby-daddy took me for our 2 week anniversary, and oooooo, girl! thefood is so tasty and dee-lightful, sex was a pleasure that night!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally detest La Fonda! I ate there twice maybe ten years apart. Both times I came home and did my Linda Blair imitation! The faux 'Mexican' food tastes worse the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zushi Sushi and Tong Thai just made SA Current's Best of 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went to happy hour at Taco Cabana and did my Lindsay Lohan initation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. best french fries on earth and damn good burgers (cooked pink or even rare if you want) at Cheezy Janes.

    ReplyDelete